Washington, DC — BSG partners Pete Brodnitz and Danny Franklin scored an impressive set of victories in some of the nation’s most competitive gubernatorial, Senate, and congressional races on Tuesday. Our team played a critical role as pollsters and senior advisers in key Democratic wins in targeted races throughout the country. In several of these races, our candidates benefitted from emphasizing a pro-growth economic message and on rebuilding the middle class.
- Governor-elect Gina Raimondo (RI). General Treasurer Gina Raimondo secured a mandate to turn around Rhode Island’s economy by becoming the first female governor in state history and the first Democrat to win the office in 24 years. Raimondo campaigned on a pro-growth agenda that emphasized job creation and rebuilding the middle class. BSG partner Pete Brodnitz was a senior adviser and pollster for the Raimondo campaign.
- Senator Jeff Merkley (OR). Despite millions of dollars in attack ads from groups backed by the Koch brothers, Jeff Merkley achieved a double-digit victory on Tuesday in a race that was once considered by national pundits as “highly competitive.” Senator Merkley won by significantly expanded on his winning margin from his initial 2008 campaign by focusing on his advocacy for the middle class. BSG partner Pete Brodnitz was a senior adviser and pollster for the Merkley campaign.
- Senator Chris Coons (DE). After helping elect Senator Chris Coons in a special election in 2010, BSG helped Senator Coons win his first full term. Senator Coons emphasized his work to bring manufacturing jobs back to America, his support for small businesses, and his attention to the concerns of Delawareans. Coons won with 56% support from voters. BSG partner Pete Brodnitz was a senior adviser and pollster for the Coons campaign.
- Senator Cory Booker (NJ). BSG partner Danny Franklin has advised Senator Booker’s campaign team since his 2010 campaign for mayor of Newark. For his re-election, Franklin drew upon BSG's polling data to help the campaign shape its communication strategy.
- Congressman Tim Walz (MN-1). BSG’s strategic research was critical in shaping Congressman Walz’s communications plan that emphasized his work cleaning up the Veterans Administration and his bipartisan legislation to crack down on securities fraud. BSG partner Pete Brodnitz was a senior adviser and pollster for the Walz campaign.
- Governor John Hickenlooper (CO) for Project New America. Governor Hickenlooper pledged to run no negative ads, so this independent expenditure played a uniquely important role. The effort focused on making an economic argument against the governor’s opponent. This complemented the argument that governor made for his effective economic stewardship in Colorado.
- House Majority PAC (MN-7 & CA-36). BSG’s research, led by Partner Pete Brodnitz, was critical to the House Majority PAC’s successful strategy and retention of two targeted House members. Congressmen Collin Peterson and Raul Ruiz faced competitive challenges in their respective districts and won by emphasizing their bipartisanship and commitment to their communities.
BSG is a strategic research consultancy that marries a provocative blend of language expertise and innovative research to help leading brands pinpoint what to say, how to say it, and to whom to say it. A member of WPP, a global network of insights and marketing agencies, BSG has advised some of the world’s most successful brands and helped elect over a dozen heads of state across six continents. From the president of the United States to Toyota and Intel, BSG specializes in turning data insights into breakthrough marketing communication strategies for leaders at the highest levels—achieving historic victories, above-market performance, and better results for our clients.